Visas & Immigration
- If you heard the story about a soldier who met a Christian Iraqi girl in Iraq, fell in love and ultimately received worldwide media attention, even going on Oprah with Garth Brooks…well…Barbara made it possibleRobert H. San Diego, CA
Seattle Immigration Blog
Executive Order on AI and STEM Occupations Could Eliminate the Need for PERM Labor Certification for Many WorkersPERM certification would no longer be needed if AI and STEM jobs are designated as “Shortage Occupations”; significantly speeding up the process to employ foreign workers in these positions.
- Non-immigrant (temporary) visas are designated by letters. Most people have heard of an H-1B visa, for example, but most don’t know there are many others. Here’s a fun visa vocabulary for common types of business-related status.
USCIS Announces Change – Many Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) and Travel Documents Will Now Be Valid for Five YearsLearn about recent USCIS changes extending both work and travel authorizations to five years, and the ramifications of such changes.
- Effective November 1, 2023 a new Form I-9 containing an edition date of 08/01/2023 must be used by all employers. Learn about the new changes.
If Your Business Seeks Visas for Professionals from Europe to Work in the US, Check Out the VIE ProgramThe VIE program is a way to hire a European professional on a J-1 “visitor exchange” visa for up to 24 months. Managed by Business France, this program offers an excellent way to get visas to work in the US, especially considering the limited number of H-1B visas that are granted.
- Attorney Barbara Marcouiller has been invited to moderate a panel presentation at the AILA Washington State Chapter for the annual conference in October, 2023.
I-9 Remote Document Verification Has Ended – Employers Have Until August 30, 2023, to Verify Documents in Person or Under the New Optional Alternative 1 (OA1) ProcedureThe temporary I-9 Covid accommodation allowing employers to verify documents remotely ended on July 31, 2023. Employers must now either conduct in-person verification of original documents by August 30 (not 31) for employees previously verified remotely, or (if they qualify), verify documents under a new process called Optional Alternative 1 (“OA1”).
- On June 24, 2023, the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) will dispose of E-Verify records that are ten years old or older. This deadline affects all employers who use the E-Verify system.
To ensure you retain access to this important data, you must download these records before the deadline or they will be permanently irretrievable.
- Firm founder Barbara Marcouiller will be speaking at the 2022 AILA NW Regional Conference to be held at the Portland, Oregon Convention Center from September 21-22, 2022.
Important Advisory Regarding EAD/AP Combo-Cards – New Cards May Not Be Valid for Re-Entry Into the USUnlike previously, EAD’s now being issued are often not valid for return entry to the US. As a result, applicants for adjustment of status need to confirm re-entry authorization before traveling, or to forgo traveling outside the US.